Friday, June 7, 2019

#1 - Here we go BLOGGING...Here we GO!


Sorry I’m late to the party, but I did not choose very good keywords for my alerts earlier in the week, had to add some additional alerts, and then wait for some articles in my inbox.  I still think I need to fiddle with it some more as I still only received a few alerts. 

That being said, my first alert was about using NewsELA in the classroom and came from TESOL International Association.  It was written by Tara Arnsten, a teacher of ESOL with a master’s degree in Teaching-TESOL.  NewsELA uses current events as the basis for their articles which helps to keep the topics interesting and applicable.  Arntsen (2016) gives five reasons for recommending NewsELA.  She likes that it is EASY to access and FREE!  NewsELA has extensive topic CHOICES that are easy to search for in the app.  It can easily be DIFFERENTIATED by using 5 different levels, sometimes ranging from second to twelfth grades.  The articles and quizzes are both adjusted to the level accordingly.  NewsELA also has a wonderful SUPPORT system with videos and webinars for teachers.  AND…how perfect is this…NewsELA has its own BLOG!

Another cool article I’d like to share is from FluentU – English Language and Culture Blog. FluentU is an app that helps ELLs learn to speak English naturally.  The article recommends 10 Best Modern Sitcoms to Learn English.  Sitcoms have more realistic situations than textbooks and help to improve conversational skills by using everyday English.  Watching sitcoms can help ELLs improve listening skills, learn appropriate context for humor, and cultural references.  Sitcoms are easy to follow the plot if you watch regularly, use repetition of words, and make it easy to forget you are learning English!  Some of the recommendations include “The Big Bang Theory”, “How I Met your Mother”, “Grey’s Anatomy”, and “Friends”.  I think students will find it amazing when their homework is to watch TV! 

References

Alan. (2019, April 19). 10 Best Modern American Sitcoms to Learn English. Retrieved June 6, 2019, from https://www.fluentu.com/blog/english/learn-english-american-sitcoms/

Arntsen, T. (2016, August 16). | 5 Reasons to Use Newsela. Retrieved June 6, 2019, from http://blog.tesol.org/5-reasons-to-use-newsela/

2 comments:

  1. Hi Leslie! I like the resources you added in this post. I found them useful. Providing applicable tools for students is beneficial and engaging. Especially, using these tools to help develop language skills for L2 students. I found it interesting in using Sitcoms to more effectively for ELLs to develop English naturally. I never thought of this approach, but in reflecting, I can see all the nuances in a sitcom can grow language learning skills while meeting abstract ideas involved. In our world of web 2.0 tools have provide many avenues to ensure the success of leaners. I’m excited for the continuation of technology and the educators that pursue great resources to share.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete

#6 - Double Duty

            This week I was really excited to find an article about second language learners and MATH!   I’ve really enjoyed learning a...